SPINACH-ARTICHOKE WHITE PIZZA
A weekend post? You betcha. This pizza was so good, I couldn't wait to share it with you! And what better time to try a new recipe than on a long weekend!? Make this 'za tonight. Or on Sunday (since now that's your Saturday). Whatever you do, though...don't skip it.
You can go crazy and make your own crust (if you're into that sort of thing). Or, you can do one of two things: go to your local pizzeria or market and buy a ball of fresh dough, or just buy the can of pizza crust dough. Either works.
This sauce may SEEM decadent, but that's just because it IS decadent. Go ahead. We all give you permission to do the cream sauce.
You can add a little chopped cooked chicken on top if your heart so desires. We did half-and-half, making this meal super duper flexitarian. It pleases everyone!
And if it seems like a lot of cheese, again, that's because there is a LOT of cheese. So much cheese, in fact, that your calcium (and happiness) levels will be at an all-time high. Two birds, one stone!
1 ball or can pizza dough
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp flour
1/2 c whole milk
1/4 c half-and-half
pinch sea salt, cracked pepper, and paprika
1 oz cream cheese
2 tbsp grated or shredded parmesan
8 oz shredded mozzarella (1 bag)
1 cup shredded or chopped cooked chicken (optional)
2-3 cups spinach, wilted
1 can artichokes, drained and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup parmesan
1. preheat oven to 450ºF. roll out dough on floured surface in a circle or rectangle, whatever you prefer.
2. in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, melt butter. add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring with a whisk frequently for about 1 minute. add flour and cook another minute. gradually whisk in milk, half and half, salt, pepper, and paprika. cook for 2-3 minutes. whisk in cream cheese and parmesan until melted, about 1-2 minutes. remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. back to the crust: fold over the extra inch of dough around the edgeto form the crust, pressing to seal. brush all over with olive oil. poke the center of the pizza with a fork to prevent large bubbles from forming. bake for 5-7 minutes, remove and set aside.
4. spread sauce on top, then half the mozzarella cheese. add chicken (if using), spinach and artichoke, then top with remaining mozzarella.
5. bake 7-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. remove from oven & allow to cool 5 minutes, then sprinkle with parmesan. cool 2-3 more minutes, then cut and serve.