VEGGIE POWER BOWLS + HOMEMADE AVOCADO PESTO
After a long day, all I want is a ginormous bowl of warm food. Something nourishing that won't weigh me down—especially if I just got done with a workout or have things I need to do at night. Enter the ~power bowl~. Bonus: there's a homemade avocado pesto recipe in this post. Read on!
The beautiful thing about power bowls is that you can add in whatever the heck you fancy. I usually start with quinoa, but you could definitely use brown rice or any other grain you have on hand.
I heated up kale and broccoli in my skillet while I soft-boiled some eggs and cooked the quinoa.
The best part about these bowls? HOMEMADE PESTO. Yes. It's not hard and you can even pack in more protein by doing it this way! I like to keep lemons, pine nuts, and garlic around—so you really just have to get avocado and basil to fill things out. You'll pulse everything in the food processor (or blender, if you're feeling brave), then add in grated Pecorino-Romano or Parm in a bowl.
2 cups torn fresh basil
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp of olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup Pecorino-Romano
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups kale
2 cups broccoli
(whatever other delicious veg you like!)
1. Rinse quinoa and add to 2 quart pot with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Saute broccoli and kale (might have to do this separately based on how big your skillet is!).
3. Boil eggs—bring to a boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
4. Make pesto! You'll probably want to save this for the end because avocados go BROWN.
1. Combine avocado, oil, pine nuts, garlic, basil, and sea salt in food processor or blender. Pulse until just combined.
2. Transfer mixture to bowl and stir in cheese.
3. Stir into bowls and top with eggs!