SHEET PAN SALMON WITH BROCCOLI, POTATOES, & BASIL CHIMICHURRI
It all started with a free Alaskan salmon. A coworker went on an Alaskan fishing trip and brought back pounds and pounds of delicious fish—including king salmon! And what goes better with salmon than rich roasted vegetables?
There are three elements of this dish that take it above and beyond. Roasting the fish with lemon slices adds acidity, depth, and interest. Your blackened salmon rub is going to cook right into the salmon and elevate the natural flavors. And the basil chimichurri? Don't make this dish without it! It's fresh and zesty and you can use it on so many more meals, like chicken or even a fancy grilled cheese!
First, you'll roast the potatoes. Then, you'll throw in the broccoli and rubbed salmon, topped with lemon slices. While that's all roasting, you'll prepare the basil chimichurri.
1 pound baby potatoes, halved
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
salt + pepper, to taste
1 large skin-on salmon (or 4 salmon fillets)
1 tbsp raw honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp each: dried parsley, thyme + oregano
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 lemons (zest both, slice one for cooking)
1 head broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 clove of garlic
pinch crushed red pepper
salt, to taste
1. preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. on a large sheet pan, combine potatoes, 2 tbsp olive oil and salt + pepper. toss to evenly coat. roast for 15 minutes.
3. meanwhile, combine 2 tbsp olive oil, honey, garlic, parsley, thyme, oregano, paprika, cayenne, basil and lemon zest in a bowl.
4. after 15 minutes, remove potatoes from oven. add the salmon to the center of the pan (if the salmon is large, cut it into smaller portions to cook faster). rub the spice mixture onto the salmon. add broccoli to the pan and toss with the potatoes. sprinkle both broccoli and potatoes with parm. lay lemon slices on top of salmon.
5. roast at least 18 minutes or until the salmon has reached desired doneness.
6. to make chimichurri, combine all ingredients in blender or food processor & pulse until combined (should look like pesto!). pour into a bowl or glass jar.
7. to serve, remove the skin from the salmon and cut into 4 pieces. (not necessary if you're using fillets.) serve with potatoes + broccoli and the basil chimichurri.
this recipe was adapted from half baked harvest.